Helping communities to grow their own fruit, veg & flowers
‘Growing School’ is the name Nicola Scott (RHS & PGCE-qualified) and Celia Hooson (DipSW & RHS-qualified) use to establish veg growing projects on school grounds and for the not-for-profit sector in South Manchester at no cost to you.
Veg seedlings grown at school
Veg growing is a great leveller of all abilities as it requires teamwork and creative thinking. For schools, links can be made through gardening to the curriculum e.g. Geography, Science, and Food Technology.
Gardening also promotes personal, social, and emotional development (Ofsted, 2008), with calls by medics and academics for it to be integrated more into NHS treatment strategies to improve physical and mental well being among patients. (See The healing power of garden – FT)
Chillies forming in a mini greenhouse
– visit you for an initial consultation without commitment to locate where a gardening project can be set up on your grounds
– source funds or match funding to deliver a project
– develop and maintain a veg growing site on your grounds
– plan, prepare, and deliver weekly gardening workshops on their own, through subjects, and/or as lunchtime and after school clubs
– tailor the needs of individuals/small groups through gardening activities
See the ‘Contact info‘ page to get in touch and help your community to grow!