I have a passion for utilising the well being and environmental benefits of gardening, urban food growing, transforming harvests into scrumptious meals, and supporting others to do the same. Here are some of my roles, past and present:
- From June 2017 to present I have delivered weekly therapeutic horticulture sessions with residents at a retirement home in Higher Broughton on behalf of START in Salford Wellbeing and Creative Arts Centre.
- From September 2015 until the autumn of 2017 I delivered weekly therapeutic horticulture sessions at a secure psychiatric unit in Salford, then at a centre for the homeless on. From 2013-2015 I facilitated weekly horticulture sessions at START’s garden.
- During the last few years I have delivered community orchard fruit tree pruning training sessions on behalf of Sow the City and The Urban Orchard Project.
- Since 2011 I have jointly with Celia Hooson and Jess Mock, or solely, coordinated projects including at Manchester Secondary PRU, New Horizons and Rack House Primary School in Wythenshawe. See the Projects & Bespoke sessions page for more details.
- Since 2009 I have jointly coordinated Abundance Manchester, an award-winning community group which harvests, and redistributes surplus fruit & veg to groups in need. I also delivered weekly food growing workshops to some of our recipient groups and helped to manage a community orchard.
- In 2008 I qualified as a Key Stage 3 & 4 teacher of Citizenship Education with Geography from the University of Exeter, plus gained training experience at Torbay (EBD) School.
- After qualifying I gained teaching experience in schools across Manchester, plus delivered education workshops to Key Stage 2, 3 and 4 students for Manchester’s GAP Unit.
- Through my ethical interests in food I was a researcher and writer for the Manchester-based Ethical Consumer magazine (2006-2007), specialising in food issues (1, 2, and 3).
- I have a Ph.D. from the University of Manchester about food issues, overseas development, and international political economy; since 2004 I have taught and convened a Study Skills course in Social Sciences at this university.